The Avery Dennison story begins in 1935, with just a few spare parts, one very bright idea and a $100 loan. Ray Stanton (“Stan”) Avery, a struggling clerk in Los Angeles, invented a smarter way for stores to price their products, then went on to pioneer the labeling industry. With a few simple materials—primarily used machine parts and a saber saw—Stan created and patented the first self-adhesive, die-cut labeling machine. His practical genius would ultimately yield eighteen patents and establish Avery Adhesives as the company that transformed how brands and businesses deliver information. In 1990, Avery International merged with Dennison Manufacturing to become Avery Dennison. Today, we manufacture and distribute labeling and packaging materials in over 50 countries and employ more than 30,000 people. The flexibility and responsiveness afforded by our company's global footprint enables us to service our customers at key points throughout their supply chain. In just over 80 years we have grown from one bright idea into a global corporation that continues to set new standards for quality and innovation in materials science.